MARCH 24, 2012
Grab your hat, load your horse and meet fellow LEC members for a trail ride (and camp out if you wish) at Cane Camp on March 23-24th The official guided ride will begin at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, but there will be more riding throughout the weekend with groups getting together to go out on their own.
If you have not joined or renewed your membership for 2012 do so today on www.laequinecouncil.com. You will ride free as a paid member supporting the horse industry in Louisiana.
Bring along a saddlebag lunch and drink for yourself. We will be stopping on the trail to enjoy our lunch, rest, and mingle with fellow equestrians.
Cane Camp is a primitive horse camp with improved restrooms. Water is convenient and there are poles to tie the horses (bring your own rope to make a highline). There are no R.V. hookups.
If camping overnight, there is a $3.00 camping fee that you deposit at the site. There is also a $5.00 ride out fee for the Sand Stone Trail that is paid on the honor system.
To get to Cane Camp from Alexandria, take the Derry/Cloutierville exit (Exit 119) on I-49. Go south 5 miles on La. 119 west, and turn west on Forest Highway 59, which is the Longleaf Trail. Go about 13 miles, and watch for the turn right after the pipeline right of way crosses the road. Cane Camp is on the north side of the road just after the pipeline crossing.
Go about 27 miles north from Leesville off Hwy 117 (Kurthwood Hwy) right onto Longleaf Scenic Byway. Cane camp is about five miles down on the left.
The coordinates are 31.484857,-93.122864.
Come join us for the day or for the weekend. Make a difference for the future of the horse industry in Louisiana while making new friends and enjoying our forest.
Peggy at 225-933-4200.
- Louisiana Equine Council One voice...many breeds.
One voice...many disciplines.
- The Louisiana Equine Council's purpose isto promote and market Louisiana equines and the equine industry.
- The Louisiana Equine Council's purpose isto develop and expand equine research and educational programs.
- The Louisiana Equine Council's purpose isto encourage and facilitate the economic development of the equine industry.
- The Louisiana Equine Council's purpose isto promote the safe use and enjoyment of equines.
- The Louisiana Equine Council's purpose is to encourage youth development through involvement with equines.