top of page
2024 Annual Meeting Gumbo Cook Off Contest
2024 Annual Meeting Gumbo Cook Off Contest

Sat, Jan 13

|

Allen Parish Civic Center & Fairgrounds

2024 Annual Meeting Gumbo Cook Off Contest

Come Cook Your Gumbo! Get the rules and regs right here!

Registration is closed
See other events

Time & Location

Jan 13, 2024, 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM

Allen Parish Civic Center & Fairgrounds, 609 Tiger Ln, Oberlin, LA 70655, USA

Guests

About the event

Do you think you have an award winning Gumbo?  Now's your chance to put it to the test!  Here are the cook off guidelines!

  • Teams can be from 1 to 4 people. Teams with multiple members will select a Head Cook. The Head Cook will be responsible for interacting with the LEC representative(s) and will present the LEC reps with the samples for judging. Judging will be blind. The judges will be given the category, but not which team made the gumbo/rice. The LEC will provide the containers for the rice and gumbo.
  • Teams are responsible for all of their ingredients and cooking supplies (water is available on site). Teams are also responsible for the safety of their area and their food. Teams MUST have a fire extinguisher with them to register. Teams are also responsible for making at least 4-5 gallons of gumbo and having their own sample bowls/cups/spoons. No ground fires will be permitted. Electricity will not be provided.
  • All ingredients, including rice and roux, must be cooked on site. Only ingredients that are pre-smoked, like sausage, may be pre-cooked. Rice will be judged on its own as part of the scoring. Ingredients may be prepped prior, like dicing of the onions/bell peppers/ celery/etc. Multiple pots may be used during cooking.
  • Teams will expect for the crowd to walk around while they are cooking. Each team will be responsible for keeping their area safe.
  • Cooking will begin at 9 am with judging to commence at noon. Pots can be set up and pre-heated, but no oil or ingredients may be placed in until the 9 am start.
  • Judges will add nothing to the gumbo to taste, like hot sauce or even salt. All gumbo/rice will be tasted as is. The rice will be tasted on its own as a part of the scoring. There will be 3 judges. The judges will be pre-selected, but not publicly announced until the judging officially occurs. So they may have asked questions or talked with teams prior, but the teams won’t know who they are. No person not on the team may sample either the gumbo or rice prior to judging.
  • There will be 2 categories:     
    • Traditional Gumbo can include any meat or style that would be considered traditional. For instance, guinea fowl, duck, rabbit, chicken, or file’ gumbos would all be considered traditional. May NOT contain seafood.
    • Seafood gumbo will be any gumbo that includes something seafood.

     

  • There will be a plaque and prize of 60% of the total applicable category entry fees paid back to the winner of each category. Second place of each category will win the remaining 40% of the entry fees for that category. There will be a 3rd un-official category of “Crowd’s Choice” for potential/additional bragging rights. For Crowd’s choice, each team will be given a certain color marker and members of the crowd may obtain the colored markers and place into a jar for tabulation.

Tickets

  • Gumbo Cook Off Entry Fee

    If you plan on competing, this is your entry fee. Please arrive no later than 8:00 am.

    $25.00
    Sale ended

Total

$0.00

Share this event

bottom of page